1. Liverpool are unbeaten in their opening 13 matches of a Premier League season for the first time since 2007/08. 33 points from 13 games is now the club’s highest tally since the Premier League began. How would you sum up the season so far, both domestically and in Europe?
I think it has been a brilliant start in the Premier League and an average one in Europe, but in the main we don’t have too much to complain about.
2. Who and what has impressed you the most so far this season?
I think Shaqiri as I thought it would be difficult for him coming in playing the same position as Salah, but he’s performed when called upon to almost being first choice.
3. You spoke about Liverpool’s new found defensive strength on Monday Night Football earlier this week, the Reds have conceded just 5 goals in the league so far, but this has come at the expense of the free-flowing attacking football which we saw regularly last season – have we seen a permanent change from Klopp’s ‘heavy-metal football’ to something more structured?
The team is now looking more like the teams I played in as they can rely on the defensive structure to win games. That may have to do with us being more pragmatic which takes away from the attack, but I think that is mainly down to a lack of creativity and the after effects of the World Cup.
4. The club have spent a lot in 2018…
Virgil van Dijk
How have you rated the club’s transfer business this year and how does this team compare to the team you played in?
I think the money spent has been very good, especially Virgil van Dijk and Alisson. Shaqiri is a bargain and the other two have done okay, but there’s much more to come.
5. In your opinion, should Liverpool be prioritising the Premier League over the Champions League?
That can only happen when you get to March/April if you’re in both competitions, then you may rest a player or not take a chance on someone if they’re not 100% in a certain competition to help another. The league would be the priority.
6. In your eyes, what is Liverpool’s strongest XI?
The team almost picks itself besides the midfield, but I’d like to see Shaqiri and Keita in the team.
7. Do you think Klopp should enter the transfer window in January?
We lack creativity in the squad as we missed Fekir and you can’t rely on Lallana, so if something like that came up, yes. But I suspect he’ll have to get a couple out first.
8. You’ve been a player and a pundit, but do you think you’ll ever fancy a crack at management?
I doubt it as the longer I’m out of it the less experience I’m gaining like some other young managers.
9. How would you sum up Steven Gerrard’s start to life in Scotland as Rangers manager?
Brilliant! Europa League qualification and on Celtic’s tail.
10. Which manager did you enjoy working for the most and why?
Gerard Houllier as it was all new in terms of winning trophies and playing big games.
11. Who’s the best and worst player you’ve ever played with?
The best is Steven Gerrard. The worst, too many to mention!
12. If you could re-live any moment from your time at #LFC, when would it be and why?
When Jerzy saved Shevchenko’s penalty for obvious reasons!
13. Predictions ahead of the derby?
1-0 LFC win. I think it will be a really difficult and tight game.